Friday, July 30, 2010

For the Love of Asparagus

So, I have been getting a lot of requests on how to cook asparagus. It's sooo delicious and so very good for you! So I decided to give you guys some of my favorite ways to make that are quick and easy! But first...some tips on picking it out and storing it.Make sure when you pick out your asparagus that you look at the tips. Make sure they are a not wilted or slimy! They should look dark green and feel sturdy.
  • Also, be careful not to pick ones that are too thick. The thinner they are, the more tender the asparagus. What if you only have thick ones to pick from? Take your vegetable peeler and peel them down to the tender part.
  • When bringing asparagus home, store it either with a damp cloth around the bottoms or even better, in a cup with some water in it. This will help keep them longer. They will probably only last 4 to 5 days tops!
  • And finally, when preparing, take your asparagus and bend until it breaks naturally.
    This will let you now where the most tender part is. You can them cut all of the rest of the bunch to that length and go for it!
1. If you have always wanted to like asparagus but haven't been able to...OR for a GREAT appetizer!!!! My favorite recipe is to get some procuitto and spread a thin layer of cream cheese on it and wrap it around the asparagus. Bake at 350 degrees until the asapargus is tender and the procuitto is nice and brown. These are wonderful at room temperature or cold. I LOVE them!!!!

2. Asparagus are always good marinated in some olive oil and a little bit of balsamic vinegar with some salt and pepper and a little onion and garlic powder and I always add lemon pepper (my favorite seasoning EVER) and then put on the grill with your chicken, beef or fish. Remember- cook it until it's at the texture you like! I then like to finish it off with a little butter or extra olive oil right when it comes off the grill and then a good squeeze of lemon juice!

3. Now to my FAVORITE! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put your asparagus (I usually make 2 bunches) on a sheet pan and spread liberally with olive oil. Then season with 1 Tbsp each of sea salt, garlic powder and onion powder and 2 Tbsp of lemon pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until at the texture you like. I like for my tops to get a little crispy at the edge! :-)

I hope this helps you asparagus lovers and want to be lovers out there! Let me know what other things I can help with next!

4 comments:

  1. I know I'm a bit biased, but this is a GREAT post. Everyone should try the roasted asparagus soon if not now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy Yummy Christa! I'm glad you didn't include a picture or I would have eaten my computer screen :)

    ~Louisville Dining Diva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be trying these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete